Thursday, April 5, 2012

One Great Run

With the upcoming Easter holiday and my family's usual holiday travels, I decided that I was going to do my long run this morning.  However, it seemed as though the universe was conspiring against me.

I went swimming again Tuesday night (1450 meters straight, a new personal record!), and really enjoyed the opportunity and the workout.  But when it was time to go to bed that night, my body and mind were still amped up a bit.  I was also starving.  So, I ate a snack, but was still wide awake until nearly 11:30pm.  I slept like crap all night, waking up constantly.  I was so tired that I skipped my Wednesday morning workout, and my body was really sore from the extended swimming.

Then I decided to do my long run, and I skipped my lunch hour run, saving my energy for the 10 miles the next morning.  My lack of sleep was apparent at 8:30pm when I was tired and cranky, and sad that my alarm was going to be going off at 3:30am.

I woke up before my alarm at 3:14am.  I was tired, but excited to go out for a nice long run.  I got the fuel belt ready, loaded with Carborocket, and I decided to return to some static stretches (read "toe touches").  I had gotten away from these recently because of some recent articles about dynamic stretching (read: "skipping").  However, as I have been searching for my lost speed, I decided to go back to some of my old tricks in the hopes of finding the answers.

And I must have found it because I felt great when I went out for the run and I did my first mile in 7 minutes!  I knew I was pushing a little bit too much, so I pulled back a touch and aimed for 7:30 miles.  At mile 4, I slowed to a walk and drank half of my bottle, planning to drink the remainder at another stop.  I caught my breath and walked a couple of hundred yards.  When I took off again, I felt great!  I completed the first 5 mile loop in 38:30, or 7:42 per mile.  Considering the walking break, I felt like I was spot on with my speed.

The wind was picking up during my second loop, but any rain managed to stay away.  I was ripping off miles at a pretty consistant 7:30 pace.  Some of the hills were a bit tougher the second time around, and I knew I was pushing my abilities a bit, but I was so excited to be having such a great run.  At mile 8, I extended my walk a little bit further and refueled once again.

This time when I started running again, I did not have the energy that I did at mile 4.  But I concentrated on my form, making sure that I was using my arms to pull me along, and I pulled in front of my house at exactly 1:17:02!  I ran 10 miles with two refueling breaks at a consistent 7:42 pace!  It really felt good!  I knew I had had one great run! 

No comments:

Post a Comment