Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Race Week!

That's right!  It's go time!  In just 4 days, I will be running one leg of the Illinois Marathon Relay.   I have been a part of a few races in my short career, mostly small events, with only a few hundred participants.  This is the effing "Catalina Wine Mixer" of races for me.  Thousands of participants, hundreds of volunteers, there is a freaking expo prior to the race!  I am super pumped! 

I am also a little nervous!  Not about the run.  I have been preparing for this for quite some time.  I am currently injury-free (knocking on wood).  And I anticipate having an incredible run.  I am nervous about the logistics.  Neither my teammates nor I have ever been in a race this big.  I have no idea what to expect when we show up on race day.  When you throw in the idea of a relay team and getting everybody where they need to be on time, the difficulties can certainly seem overwhelming.  I know where everybody is supposed to be for the hand off, but getting to these locations considering road closures and traffic detours, I question if we are as prepared as we should be.

Now the weatherman is calling for heat and ran.  Just another obstacle which we will have to overcome.  I am not too scared about running in the rain, but if it turns to lightning I am assuming they will close the race, or at least postpone it for a short time.  How does that work if you are already out on the course?  I hope there will be some answers at the expo on Friday.

I am trying not to let these concerns get the best of me.  All I really want is to go out and have the run of my life!  I ran 7.13 miles last Saturday over the hilly terrain of Iowa City.  I completed the run in 51 minutes!  I am shooting for 6.9 miles over the flat terrain of East Central Illinois in 49 minutes!  I think I can do it.  Check that; I know I can do it!  I am leaving my HR monitor at home; heart rate be damned!  I am going to leave it all out on the course! Death or Glory!  It's the fucking Catalina Wine Mixer!

No comments:

Post a Comment