Thursday, November 10, 2011

Gimme A Break!


So when Bubba was at home recovering from his surgery, I have to admit that I fell off the diet wagon a couple of times.  More specifically, when he wanted chips and queso dip from the Mexican restaurant, he was far from the only one that partook.  And when he wanted to go to Pizza Hut for lunch, I am pretty sure I hit the buffet line more than anyone else, including a sample of all 3 desserts.  I did stick with all of my scheduled workouts, but by Friday afternoon I knew that I needed to shape up a bit if I wanted to lose any weight this week.

So, I went for a 17 mile bike ride on Friday.  I ran an extra 2.5 miles on my Saturday long run.  Plus, I threw in an extra 4 mile run on Sunday to try and make up for my bad behavior.  Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on how you look at it, I did not lose any weight this week, but I did not gain any either.

I am not terribly disappointed for two reasons.  The first is because I honestly believe that with my cross training work I am building a significant amount of muscle.  I can visually see that my arm are getting larger and I am able to do a lot more reps of the strength work than I was when I started.  Since it is said that muscle weighs more than fat, I am of the belief that while my weight did not change, I am definitely building more muscle and losing more fat! 

The second reason I am not disappointed with not losing any weight on the scale is that I went down a notch on both of my belts this week!  My pants are a little looser!  So, the truth is that my waistline is getting smaller, even without losing any weight!

The problem with all of this is that I have not had a day off from working out since Sunday, Oct. 30, and even on my regularly scheduled days I have added additional work.  When I went out for my 5K run this morning, I realized that I need a break! 

I usually try to push really hard in that first mile on Thursdays and I did today, 6:27 for my first mile.  However, my legs felt like lead!  Every slight incline felt like Mt. Everest, and the down hills brought no relief.  Even as I tried to take an easy second mile, my form was horrid and I kept having to remind myself to straighten up.  When I kicked it up for my moderate 3rd mile, I really didn't know if I would make it home.  Now, this morning I have felt sore pretty much all over.  Muscles that I have not worked in a couple of days are actually showing some signs of fatigue.  I think my body is telling me to slow down for a minute. 

However, I am constantly reminding myself that I want to lose 4 more pounds before Thanksgiving, and the fear of gaining any weight keeps me from stopping.  I keep saying to myself, "If I can just make it a couple of more days, I can get a break on Sunday."  The trouble is I do not know if I can make it a couple of more days; I am exhausted.  I might be able to sleep in a little extra tomorrow morning before my ab workout, so maybe that will be enough to get me over the finish line. At least I hope it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment