Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Infidelity


I am sad to say that I feel as though I have been cheating on someone very special to me.  I have been spending a lot of time with others and had many passionate, intimate encounters behind my loved one's back.  Often times, when I am with these others I am sweaty and out of breath.  I look at my loved one in sorrow, failing to admit my indiscretions, knowing that more time should be spent showing them my love.  I have to admit that I have been cheating on Roxanne.  (If you suspected that I would say anybody else, you can leave your personal apologies in the comments.  Thank you. -BF)

With so much of my focus this year being on my running, I have not spent nearly enough time riding my bike.  I have had only 2 real decent rides on the bike this year; probably less than 100 miles total for the season.  And I feel terrible about it.

I feel terrible because I spent so much time and money researching, purchasing, and fine tuning this bike to my personal style, and now I hardly spend any time riding.  I feel terrible because I really, really enjoy riding a bike.  It is such a "free" feeling, when you are out on the road.  But alas, no mater how terrible I feel I still don't get out and ride.

One reason is that going for a good ride of 25-40 miles take a lot of time, 1.5-2.5 hours per ride.  And that is just really time that I do not have.  Especially when you consider that I am now training for a half marathon, which is already taking a bunch of my time.  The thing about running is that I can do it freely in the dark of the early morning.  Riding my bike at that time would require me to further invest in some lights, and even then I do not know that I would feel entirely safe riding on the country roads around my home.  Besides the time, I am feeling really confident about my running right now.  I want to do really well in my half marathon, and I don't want any distractions from running a good race.

I know it seems like I am flip-flopping about my passion for biking versus running, and maybe I am.  But honestly I just wish there was enough time in the day for me to do both and still get all of the other things on my docket completed.  I am committed to performing well in the half marathon this season, but I think that taking some time and evaluating how I can get more time for both running and biking next season may be in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment