Thursday, December 22, 2011

Out With the Old and In With the New

As 2011 comes slowly to a close, I thought it would be a worthwhile venture to look at all of the things that my family and I accomplished this year, as well as take a look at what 2012 may have in store for us.

Note: I do not have time to put links to all of these events, but if you would like to read more about them please check out the archives on the right.)

2011
-In March, I received an amazing birthday present, a fitness evaluation, from my wife.  The process was informative, and I continue to use much of the information I learned from my appointment.

-In April, Katie and I ran with my sister in the Illinois Marathon Relay.  It was our first experience participating in a big race atmosphere.  While somewhat intimidating, I think we all really enjoyed our time.  We performed well and couldn't be happier with our finish!

-In May, we officially became a Racing Home as Katie, the kids, and I all participated in the Kirby Derby.  I had a new 10K PR, and a spark for running was lit for my children!

-Most of the summer was spent preparing for the Quad City Half Marathon.  I experienced a weight loss roadblock and pinched nerve in my back.  I spent a lot of time out on the road training.  But in all, it was a fun and exciting summer journey.

-In September, I suffered through my first half marathon.  I finished the race, but did not meet my goal time.  While initially disheartened, I have recognized the error of my ways and am determined to do better the next time.

-In October, I ran in my first trail race, the Allerton Trail Run.  I ran well, and enjoyed the change of pace from my regular road running.

-I spent a couple of months working on my overall fitness with some simple crossfit exercises, which have certainly done the job.  Along the way, I ran a sub-30 second 200m dash and have done more pull-ups than ever in my entire life!

2012
-Katie, my sister, and I have agreed to once again run the Illinois Marathon Relay.  This year we have decided to include our 18yo cousin, also named Katie.  We hope her youthful exuberance will help to elevate our performance.

-My 5yo son has determined he would like to run his first 5K in this year's Kirby Derby.  He has had a couple of training runs, but he continues to be anxious for preparation, as he will ask me every so often, "When are we going to run again?"

-I did not participate in any bike rides in 2011.  In fact, I felt as though I was cheating on my bike, Roxanne, with all of the time that I spent running last year.  I am committed to change in the new year.  I would like to participate in the Sangamon Valley Bike Ride in May, as well as the Bike MS ride later in the summer.  I am hopeful for good weather, as the Bike MS ride would still constitute the furthest 2-day ride of my life.

-I would also like to train a bit more with my swimming because I would like to participate in my first triathlon.  The Fighting Illini Triathlon Club hosts a sprint triathlon in late September/early October.  I like the idea that it would be a local race and the swim for this particular event is only 300m.  I am determined to work my way up to that.

-I would once again like to participate in the Allerton Trail Run.  It is a unique race in one of my most treasured places.  Honestly, I would like to make sure that I never miss this race again!

-Finally, I would like to try another half marathon, improving upon my performance in 2011.  Some folks I know are talking about hosting a half in Galesburg, where I grew up.  I would really like to run in that race!   Galesburg is dead flat!  if I can avoid all of the trains, I think I could really improve upon my time under those conditions! 

As we enter into the holiday season, the opportunity to write any posts will be limited.  So from my family to yours, "Have a Merry Christmas/Happy Hanukkah and a safe, happy New Year!"

No comments:

Post a Comment