Wednesday, March 24, 2010

8 weeks

Update: A couple of weeks ago I had a post about the crazy March I was going to have (click_here ). I am happy to report that after 5 different birthday celebrations and a trip to Chicago, I actually lost a pound or two. That's right, all of that fear and drama was for nothing. I am an invincible weight loss machine, I will never be defeated. Actually, that is a complete lie; I was very conscious of what I was eating. I still indulged myself (i.e. beer, appetizers, and pizza at Giordano's), but I did not over indulge. I watched what I ate at other meals, and I worked out everyday. Thank you to everyone who offered advice on my situation, it was definitely helpful.

Eight weeks? The gestation period of the Arctic_fox or the amount of time until I have to run a 10k in the Kirby Derby followed the next day by a 46 mile bike ride for the Lions Club. Spoiler Alert: both answers are correct. (Warning: typical guy statement) Life is a miracle and all, but I think I will be the one working harder.

So, I have been pretty comfortable with the workout schedule that I have been using for about the past year and a half. I always run on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, strength on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and rest on Sunday (remind you of anyone?). I would bike when I could, but almost never on a set schedule. This schedule has worked well for me, but like any work out I have started to plateau on my weight loss and I might need a change of scenery.

The new plan started this last Sunday with a strength workout, then on Monday I biked in the hotel fitness center, and yesterday I ran 3 miles when we got home from Chicago. Most of that was just maintenance, to be sure that I wasn't gaining too much weight while I was out of town. Plus, it was really strange to be working out in the afternoon on Monday and Tuesday. Oddly enough, I think I enjoy working out in the early morning versus the afternoon, but I don't think I am alone on that.

Anyway, to the plan, I will still be running on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday with increasing distances throughout the 8 weeks. I had to stick with running on these day, as it fits best into the family's schedule. Saturdays are still my long run, while Tuesdays and Thursdays will beshorter distances with faster pace, hopefully. On Mondays and Fridays, I will be biking, also increasing the distance throughout the 8 weeks. Having regularly scheduled bike rides is a new thing for me, but I think I will enjoy it. I have decided not to count any rides to/from work as workouts. I don't really know why except that I feel like a ride to work is strictly commuting and a workout ride should include a little more sweat and effort. I have not decided how I will handle inclimate weather on the biking days. I still have strength workouts, but only two, on Sundays (Sorry God.) and Thurdays. Two concerns, 1.) this is one less strength workout per week. I am going to have to modify what I do now a little to get some shoulder work in with my chest and back work. I am going to drop legs altogether, but I think the runs and biking will more than make up for it. 2.) Right now, Thursdays are a run and strength day. The runs on Thursdays never get over 2.5 miles, but I am still concerned a little about the timing in the mornings.

Anyway, if I can't lose some weight on this workout schedule, something is seriously wrong. It should make for a nice long Spring. And as soon as this stretch is over with I will start focusing more on the bike in preparation for my 175 in June.

By the way, I am getting dangerously close to the 50lb loss mark. This will be my first time below 200 in like 7 years. Expect some long diatribe for this spectacular event.

No comments:

Post a Comment